Wednesday 5 June 2013

Dear Friends,
 
Many tales like Nala Damayanti, Harishchandra Taramati, etc are from Mahabharata. They are told as a example by one person to another. Today I will tell you the tale of Nala Damayanti.
 
Thousands of years ago, Nala ruled over the kingdom of Nishada. He was generous and noble and was loved by all his subjects. But he was also sad. His father had gone to a forest to spend the last years of his life.Nala's cousin, Pushkara, envied him for his fame. Once Pushrara came to meet Nala and said that he was tired of the people here and has dicided to leave the kingdom. Nala became more lonely and wandered from place to place. One day he saw a very beautiful lake where some graceful swans were swiming. Suddenly he saw a swan with golden plumes. Slowly and softly he crept forward. He caught the swan by its leg. The bird cried out in pain. The other swans looked helplessly on. Nala told the bird that he will not kill him. He told the bird that he will take him in the palace and give him pearls. The swan consoled his wailing mates. He sail,'I have to go with the king to keep a promise I made in my last birth.I shall return the moment my work is done.'
 
Nala brought the swan to the palace. One day, the swan asked the king why he (king) was weeping. Nala said sage Narada had told him about Damayanti, the charming daughter of king Bheema of Kundanpur, and that he then and there dicided to marry her and no one else. The swan asked, 'Is that all that that troubles you? Make arrangements for the wedding and leave the rest to me. I'll return in a week'. So saying the swan flew away into the sky and reached the king of Kundanpur. Entering the royal garden, it began chanting Nala's name. Damayanti looked up and said, 'What a dear swan. If only I could have it'. As Damayanti went forward to catch the swan, it moved further away'. At last, with a swift movement, she caught it'. She asked it, 'You've been repeating the name 'Nala'. Who is he? The swan spoke of Nala and praised him highly. Damayanti said, 'King Nala must be a wonderful man. I will marry him and none other.' The swan returned to Nala and said, 'I have done my job o king! Damayanti will marry only you. I have kept my promise. Let me now go back to my companions. Nala said, 'I will miss you my friend. But I don't want to keep you away from your friends.'
 
Nala was soon invited to Damayanti's Swayamvar. Princes from far and near had gathered in the swayamvara hall. Damayanti entered with the garland. The princes were restless. Little did they know that Damayanti's garland was meant only for Nala. Damayanti garlanded Nala. Nala brought Damayanti to the palace. People young and old danced with joy. Happy times pass quickly. Soon twelve years were over.
 
One day Pushkar returned to the palace and met Nala. He said, 'I am tired of the forest life and have come back to enjoy the pleasures of the city once again.' Nala welcomed him. Nala built a palace for Pushkar. Nala tried his best to keep his cousin happy. But Pushkar had wicked plans. Pushkar invited Nala to gamble with him  now and again.' But Nala kept on losing. Pushkar said, 'Now for the last round, the winner gets a crown and the loser spends three years in the forest-Agreed?' The dice was cast and Pushkar won. Nala gave up the kingdom, Damayanti sent the children to her parents and went away with Nala. They wandered in the forest without food and water. One day Nala noticed a flock of golden birds and threw his garment over the birds to trap them. As he leaned forward, the birds flew away with the garment-Nala's only belonging! Damayanti said, 'Don't worry my king. We cannot fight fate'. Nala said, 'I am worried about you. Why should you suffer for my sake?' Nala grew sad. He said, 'Listen, this is the way to your father's kingdom, you should...' Damayanti said, 'Oh, No! I will not leave you here alone.' At night they slept on the bare ground covered by Damayanti's sari. Early next morning, when Nala woke up, he tore a piece from Damayanti's sari. Wrapping himself in it, Nala quietly walked away. He walked for a long time. Suddenly he heard cries of help. It was the serpent god. He was caught in a fire.Nala saved his life. The serpent king said, 'You have saved my life. I shall give you something in return. Walk ten steps.' Nala walked ten steps and his was formed into an ugly looking man. The serpent king said I have changed your form so that no one can recognize you. You are Baahuk from today. King Rutuparna of Ayodhya is very good at the game of dice. Go to him if you want to know the secret of the game. And put on this magic dress when you want to be your old self.'
 
Meanwhile Damayanti woke up. She wondered where Nala was and why he has left her alone in the forest? She wandered in the forest crying for Nala. Damayanti asked the animals and birds. She said, 'O jumping deer! o little sparrow! Have you seen my Nala?' A deadly python saw Damayanti and opened its jaws. It caught Damayanti's leg. Suddenly a hunters arrow hit and killed the python. Then the hunter said, 'Who are you? A goddess? A heavenly damsel? Marry me!' Damayanti cried, 'Oh, my misfortune! I wish the python had killed me...!Stay where you are. If you take one step further you will be burnt. By her curse, the hunter was burnt to ashes. Stumbling and falling, Damayanti reached the river bank. There she met a group of traders. Damayanti said, 'O traders, can you give me news about Nala?' The traders said they did not know who Nala was.' At night when they were asleep, a herd of elephants came that way and destroyed all that they carried. They said, 'we have lost everything! This woman has brought us ill luck. Beat her.' Damayanti, running for her life, reached the kingdom of Viprapur. Children teased her and called her mad. Queen Bhanumati saw her from the tarrace. She said to her maid, 'She seems to be a woman from a good family. Call her.' The queen made Damayanti her best maid not knowing who she was. One day, the ministers of Kundanpur came to Viprapur. They recognized Damayanti and took her with them. Her children had grown up. She watched them at play and missed Nala. She said, 'Its no use living without Nala. I wonder where he is! She told her father she did not want to eat. Her father, the king, promised her that he will find Nala for her.
 
One day, the king's minister set out in search of Nala. Soon he came to Ayodhya. At king Rituparna's court, the minister said, 'A king ran away. In dust the jewel lay. Why he ran away, the jewel could not say.' King Rutuparna said, 'Its a good riddle indeed. Who can solve it?' Everyone wondered at the strange words of the minister. Suddenly one person said, 'My lord ! permit me...'It was none other than Nala, who had assumed the name of Baahuk. He said, 'Can a king without a crown, keep a jewel for his own?' The minister returned to Kundanpur and narrated the events to Damayanti, who said, 'who cares if he is ugly and deformed I am sure, he is Nala.' The minister said, 'in that case we will call him here and find out.'  The minister again went to ayodhya. He said in the court, 'My Lord! Damayanti has agreed to remarry.' Baahuk said to himself, 'O God, can this be true?' Rutuparna said, 'The swayamwara is to be held tomorrow and the invitation comes today! How can I get make it. Baahuk said, 'Do not worry my lord. I will take you as fast as the wind! And surely enough, the horses seemed to fly in the air. Nala was a great charioteer.' King Rutuparna was impressed. He said, 'Baahuk, teach me the secret of driving horses and I will show you my tricks in the game of dice.' Bahuk agreed. By the time they reached Kundanpur, they had exchanged their secrets. There was no bride and no swayamwar so the King asked if it was located in a different city. They were told that as this was the second swayamwar there were no festivities.' Meanwhile Bahuka saw his two children from the terrace. He ran to them and hugged them. Damayanti observed this the palace. She came running to meet him. She said to Baahuk, 'I am sure you are Nala! how can I thank you for coming.' Nala said, 'were you going to marry again?' Damayanti said, 'No it was a trick to get you here. Who else but you can travel such distance in one day?' Nala put on the magic dress and turned into his own form. Seeing Nala safe and sound the people were crazy with joy. Nala returned to his palace with Damayanti and the children. Nala said to Pushkara, 'I have spend my three years in the forest. Come let's have another game of dice.' Pushkar agreed saying,' Very well. The winner will have the kingdom and the loser will go to the forest.' They settled down to the game of dice. Nala had mastered the game from Rutuparna. It was Pushkaraj's turn to lose. And he did. Nala said, 'Pushraka! I have won!' But I would not sent you to the forest. You may continue to live here!' Once again Nala wore the crown. Damayanti was his queen. The lived happily for many years and ruled the country well.'

No comments:

Post a Comment